|Attack Strength||Above Average (15 Damage, 25 upon impact). Can break Crystal.|
|Carrying Capacity|| 1|
Rock Pikmin, like most Pikmin types, are immune to a specific hazard. These Pikmin, in particular, are immune to blunt force; when crushed by a large object, they are simply driven into the ground temporarily. When a creature with a sharp proboscis tries to impale them, they are simply knocked back without taking damage.
Rock Pikmin have very hard exteriors, which allows them to smash through glass, crystals, ice, and even the armor of larger animals (like the Armored Mawdad's armor and the Peckish Aristocrab's claw). However, they do not sink in water, revealing that they surprisingly don't weigh much.
While Rock Pikmin are stronger in terms of durability, they weigh the same as a normal Pikmin, which means that, while they can be thrown normally, each one only counts for a single Pikmin while carrying items; although they carry objects faster than the average Pikmin due to their strength, much like White Pikmin..
Despite their increased strength, they do have a setback; Rock Pikmin cannot latch onto their targets like other Pikmin, and will instead bounce off and roll back. Instead, if left unoccupied, they will repeatedly attack enemies and obstacles by charging head-on into them, doing significantly less damage. Rock Pikmin occasionally unleash a more powerful attack to targets they hit by causing a visual and audible "thump," which causes extra damage. However, this "thump," unlike Purple Pikmin, does not stun enemies, but it can cause certain enemies to recoil.
DiscoveryThe Rock Pikmin are discovered in the Garden of Hope, the second area in Pikmin 3. They are found in a cave located north of the landing site. Residing in this cave is a Medusal Slurker that contains six Rock Pikmin. After defeating it, the player can use the newly-discovered Pikmin species to free the Gray Onion from a large crystal. After propogating enough Rock Pikmin, they can be used to break down the glass wall outside of the cave and free Brittany.
Mission Mode Tip
"Rock Pikmin are tough and can cause some serious damage if they land on a target!"
- In the Happy Ending of Pikmin, there were four Black/Grey Pikmin Onions flying above the planet's atmosphere. These could quite possibly be Rock Pikmin Onions, even though the Onions' appearances in Pikmin 3 have changed.
- In Nintendo Land's Pikmin Adventure, the Knuckle Seed resembles the ability of Rock Pikmin: a straight and strong impact shot.
- Rock Pikmin have "cracking" particle effects for when they hit breakable objects.
- The stem on a Rock Pikmin's head droops lower than on other Pikmin types.
- Rock Pikmin seem to be the only main Pikmin type not to be utilized by Olimar or Alph in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS in any way.
- When Alph first discovers the first six Rock Pikmin, three of them are buds.
- Rock Pikmin roll when they go down slides.
- Rock Pikmin are the first Pikmin type discovered that are not named after their color and one of the two types that are not named after color. (The other being Winged Pikmin.)
- On the initial loading screen of Pikmin 3, the Rock Pikmin's flower and stalk are white, which is odd.
- Data folders from Hey! Pikmin imply that the hard part of a Rock Pikmin is actually a shell. Like Winged Pikmin, Rock Pikmin are only Pikmin to not appear in Pikmin Short Movies.
| Red Pikmin | Yellow Pikmin | Blue Pikmin | Purple Pikmin | White Pikmin | Rock Pikmin | Winged Pikmin | Mushroom Pikmin | Bulbmin | Pikpik Carrot Pikmin | Olimin